Firestone Firehawk Tires Problem on 3000GT SL

I have encountered a major problem on my existing Firestone Firehawk 225

55ZR16 tires. They have about 20K miles on them and my front driver side tire is actually coming apart at the inner sidewall. I took it to a local Firestone dealer and they say that the problem is due to improper inflation. I told them that my other three tires are also beginning to bulge at the exact same location and that I keep them filled to 32PSI. On top of that I only drive the car about 3K miles per year since it is my summer only vehicle. I expected them to issue a credit, but they refused. Given the condition of the tire (ready to explode) I am lucky to have caught this before it blew out at highway speed and possibly cost me my life.

The purpose for this note is threefold: 1) I wanted to warn others who may have these tires that they really need to check them when they do their next rotation cause the damage was not obvious and was only noticed when the tire/wheel started to make a strange noise. 2) I wanted to ask if any one else had the same problems with these (expensive performance) tires and if Firestone made good for them, and 3) I wanted to ask about suggested replacements (I am looking at Bridgestone G-Force Sport and Yokohamas) based on others experiences.

Thanks in advance for any info on the above.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well, a mere 3K per year, and summer only you say. Do you have the car on blocks over winter so the tires don't develop wall damage (hard spots and tension cracks) from not being driven? At a guess I'd say that is the most likely cause of the problem. And at 20K miles, that 6-7 years old, quite old for a tire, when most people do about 10-12K per year.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The tire that developed the most extensive damage was only 3 1/2 years old. I will take your advice and block up the vehicle when I put it away this winter, but I will never buy Firestone or Bridgestone tires again.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Ah, another satisfied Firestone customer...

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I had the Firehawks on my Starion and I loved them. No problems at all. I would have bought the Firehawks again, but I went cheap and bought Khumos. The car is a daily driver, so maybe these tires don't like to sit. What part of the country are you in? I'm in the Midwest, so it's not like being in the desert where the sun and heat are tough on tires.

Reply to
Richie Rich

The car came from California and spent some time in Nevada as well, but has been in the Chicago, IL area the last two plus years. I just put my down payment on a set of Bridgestone G-Force sports. They should arrive within the week and I'll see how they hold up this time around. I also purchased the "no fault" road hazard insurance they offered since it would cover this type of problem as well as vandalism, etc.

On the Firehawks, they handled great on the road ... but aren't safe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman