Fog Lights for 2001 Eclipse - what are the good ones and how to install

2001 Eclipse GS - I want to install fog lights, but need to get some suggestions.

Pep Boys has a selection, so does Wal-Mart. Any recommendations about purchasing ???

Where do they mount ??? I see the space in the front fascia but can't determine whether to attach them to the upper frame bar or the lower part of fascia.

The GT Model comes with Fog Lights installed. Does the GS also have all the wiring harnesses and relay, or do these need to be installed.

Thanks in advance for you advice and recommendations !!!

Peter

Reply to
mackinna

So ... do you really want FOG lights (to drive in fog...) or improved high beam? Fog lights have a lens or/and reflecter design that produces a 60-80 degree wide fan shaped beam, with very short range (about 20m) , and are mounted low (about 40cm above the road) so the beam gets under the fog. They are switched on low beam only.

Driving lights have a 25-35 degree long range beam (300-500m +), are better mounted at a similar height to your headlights, and are switched with high beam.

Anything under $80 the set, all plastic or smaller than about 3" diameter are worthless made-in-china junk that provide "cosmetic" glare only. You really do get what you pay for. BlazerTech are at the bottom end, and are acceptable quality. Westin (Texas company, lights made in Taiwan) are reasonable, quite a bit better than Blazer. You can't go wrong with Hella (there's a big selection of models), and if you have the budget, get some PIAA.

Mounting is the problem. You'll have to fabricate suitable RIGID mounts that bolt to something solid, otherwise the lights will vibrate and flicker and this will drive you crazy.

Partial wiring may be present. Look for floating connectors down in the facia area. There won't be a relay present, but there will be a hole somewhere (probably in the main relay box) for the Fog lights relay. You'll need the dash switch. Check with the dealer for a parts kit. There likely is (or used to be) one.

In any case, its not hard to run some wires and fit a relay somewhere in the engine bay.

regards Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

As always ... thanks for your very informative and knowledgeable response....

Fog lights.... my commute trip takes me over the mountains... nighttime visibility during fog needed to be improved.

Thanks for the tip about the plastic 'junk' as I need something that works... not for cosmetic purposes.

Found the relay socket in the electric control panel. no relay.... I think there is also wiring for the switch going to the instrument panel.... theres a covering over the instrument panel with an unused socket .... I'll double check that.

Thanks again for your recommenations !!!

mackinna

Reply to
mackinna