Galants destroy belts?

Working on the third Galant that eats alt/wp belts ~

97 2.4 SOHC it takes about 2 weeks to 2 months to wear out the belt, depending on belt brand.

Harmonic balancer is not slipping Pulleys are aligned, true, and not dented no oil is leaking ~ everything is dry belt is installed TIGHT

Is this a chronic problem on these cars, or am I missing something? I'm guessing that the design, which involves driving the PS pump from the water pump (alt, WP, AND PS all driven by the alt belt), is the problem....

Thanks ~ DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

Did you take the balancer off and see if it was broken? I had one that looked fine, but it was completely separated and threw belts in the same manner. I didn't know until I took it off and it feel to the ground in two pieces.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Chalk marks on the balancer show no slipping between the inner and outer parts ~ I assume your 2-part balancer was due to worn rubber between the hub and pulley.

Thanks for the input!

DC3

Reply to
DC3Gooney

Actually mine broke in the middle of the rubber ring. It was slipping, however, as was evident by higher coolant temperatures on the logger. You may want to switch to OEM belts and while you're doing it, pull the pulley and inspect it.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Reply to
simpleton