Gas smell in 1990 eclipse gs

Every time I get into my 1990 mitsubishi eclipse GS, I can smell the odor of gas. I?ve checked all the gas lines, and can find no leak. You can smell it on the interior, but nowhere on the outside of the car. Anyone have any ideas where the smell could be coming from?

Reply to
EclipseGS

Ever find out about this? I'm sort of having the same problem with mine. Same year and model. Yours a 2.0L Non-turbo as well?

Thanks! ~Jay

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Mr Jay 2004

There's a removable plate under the rear seat the exposes the fuel pump area on the tank. The top of the tank can rust, or more commonly the low pressure return tube can rust and leak gas. The cover plate can also rust. Voila ... gas smell.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Never saw this post, but it is the gasket on the pump sender located under the passenger seat. There may have been a recall or TSB on it.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know