Gasket cement

Just wondering, when you go to replace a rocker cover gasket, is it best to place the gasket on the actual rocker cover, then the proper gasket for a better seal. Over a period of time, after replacing the rocker cover gasket, i have noticed small oil leaks. Which takes me to my question, clean the rocker cover, apply selastic to alloy cover then affix new gasket to selastic ???

Thanx

Peter Australia The car is a 1986 auto magna, what are these cars called in the USA and Canada ??

Reply to
Peter

The Magna was/is not sold in USA/Canada. Current models are the Lancer, Galant, Outlander, Endeavor and Montero. Chariot /Spacewagon (Nimbus in Australia) is not sold in USA/Canada. 87-92 the Chariot was sold as the Eagle Vista. 92-95 as the Mitsu Expo (5 door, US market only) and Expo LRV / Eagle Summit Wagon (3 door, US and Canada). Galant 88-95 was Eagle 2000 GTX. US market had the Diamante which could be the Magna.

Stewart DIBBS expat Australian in Canada since 89.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Everyone tells me not to use RTV, but I have for years will no ill effects. If you do a light coat and don't overtorque the bolts, it works fine.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

I had the cover off this week to retorque the head and didn't use sealer when I put the cover back on, there are no leaks. If the gasket material is hardened from the heat a touch of silicone would be in order but if it's still resiliant, I wouldn't bother.

Reply to
simpleton