Had Radiator Core Replaced and Still Overheats?

I have a 1990 Mits van that started overheating. I had the radiator re-cored and on the way home it started overheating again. Of course I was a bit surprised...I will check to make sure that the radiator shop actually replaced the core (it was dark when I picked up the van but it did seem to be re-cored when I looked), but is there some other simple explanation? Like a thermostat was the problem from the get-go? If so does anyone know where such an item would be located in the van, I imagine I could change that out myself.

The van heater still works great, it is the orig rad (or was), and overheated under very little provocation as it did prior to the repair. Thanks

Reply to
cranbrook

More details needed, like the size of the engine.

Reply to
Nirodac Yar

rubbish snipped.

Find your top radiator hose, follow it to the engine block, where it meets the engine block is a housing that contains the thermostat.

It must be replaced with one of the same temperature rating, and the spring side faces the engine, not the radiator. If you install it backwards, you will do irreparable damage to your engine with overheating.

Get the right part, install it the right way.

Suspect your water pump. Look at the weep hole on it. Is it leaking water? Time to replace it. A little in the way of a gray deposit is OK there, but fluid coming out of it is not.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

...am I missing something?

need more info - "can not compute"

is possible that is somewhere in the engine compartment near or possibly on the engine!

That's great!!

BBA

Reply to
BBA

Assuming the radiator actually was replaced or re-cored, it sounds as though the problem was not properly diagnosed. What led to the repair order with "re-core or replace radiator" written on it? Did you take the van to the shop and say "It overheats", or did you take it to the shop and say "Replace or re-core the radiator"?

Low-speed/in-traffic overheating is more frequently related to insufficient airflow (defective, inoperative or improperly-installed fan(s), physical blockage of air path through A/C condenser and/or radiator) than to water flow. Water flow problems (e.g. plugged radiator) more frequently make themselves known under hot-day/high-speed-driving conditions.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks Lawrence I'll check both in the AM.

Reply to
cranbrook

there are other things in the system that do the job of cooling. the water pump may have tired impellers, the thermostat may be defective, the fan drive may be bad, the fan thermostat (if used) may be defective. look at the whole system and work from the cheapest device to the more expensive stuff. seldom replace a radiator unless it leaks. good luck, sammmm

Reply to
SAMMMMM

I'm going to guess a cooling fan is not turning on. Could be a bad fan or the thermostat or fan relay.

Reply to
Richie Rich

May also be a head gasket on the way out ...

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

It was the thermostat...thanks everyone.

Reply to
cranbrook

Glad to hear it's fixed!

Toyota MDT in MO