HELP!!! CAR KEEPS CUTTING OFF!

I have a 95 eclispe GS 2.0L non turbo. The problem is that the engine keeps cutting off as if there were a kill switch on it. It's random happens anytime anywhere sometimes it will start right back up other times it will not start for 1-2 weeks almost and on day it will start like nothing is wrong. I noticed that when it happens a light in my display does not come on it looks to be the battery light I can't recall what actual name of it is but it's on the upper right hand side of the display. When the light is lit the car will start and run like a champ until it happens again. I have been told it was the fuel pump and/or relays I have replaced the 2 relays and when it happened again I bypassed the relays and went direct to the fuel pump and it works fine. Can anyone give me a clue or some direction on getting this fixed. Thanks in advance!!! PEACE!!! E.

Reply to
L.E.C.

Does this happen when the car warms up and it is hot outside?????

On my Montero, I had the same prob...in the winter, the vehicle would run just fine, but in the hot summer...my 4x4 would kick out, I would have to open the hood to let the engine cool.

I found the defective part....its a small ignition thingy that sits close by the dist cap.

I found it by keeping a spray bottle with water handy...when i was sure of the part that was defective...I would pop open the hood when the engine konked out...soaked it down with water...and it would start up again with no probs.

I got sick of doing this, then decided to shell out 200 bux to replace it....

I can take a pic of the part if you want..the name eludes me at the moment.

Dave

Reply to
Arcadefx

Sounds like the capacitors in the ECU have died.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Piette

Check all wiring harness connectors between fuel pump earth and fuel pump fuse/main relay. Likely a dirty or loose connection. To help tracking it down, when fault occurs you can use a voltage meter to test for battery voltage while cranking(you may want to disconnect the starter motor solenoid wire), when at the +ve pump terminal should have cranking voltage approx 10 - 12 volts, if you don't then move back toward the fuse in stages to identify which section the fault occurs in. If you have correct voltage there then check the earth side, should have 0 - 0.5 volts, if this is ok then check the fuel pump itself.

Reply to
tomd

Have you checked the battery connections? If they come loose and don't make a proper connection this could explain your problem. Make sure the connectors are making good solid and corrosive free connections. If they are, check the battery and connections to the alternator. All are very easy things to check. After that I would chk ignition wires and spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor.

Reply to
Greg

I have to re-iterate the same scenario Arc. I got a Mistubishi Mirage for free because it would run for 10 minutes and then die like you turned off the key. I went so far as to replace the entire distributor, but I expect it was the little ignition module inside the distributor.

Cheers,

Jim Remsik jim@^^^^^^.com

Reply to
Jim Remsik