Help..Glowing exhuast manifold

I have a 1988 Starion w/turbo. After short drives, I notice the exhaust manifold glows slightly. (viewed in the dark) The compression on all 4 is good, (120PSI), and the ignition timimg is set at 10BTDC.

What gives? Do they all do this??

Thanks in advance to those who respond.

Reply to
Dan

Hi Dan.

Have you gone to

?

My guess is that at least one of your cats are plugged. The precat is usually the first to go bad. Many people gut it anyway. One way to check the precat is to remove the exhaust pipe to the bottom of the precat and shine a lit up there.

Reply to
Richie Rich

"Richie Rich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thanks Rich! The cats have been already been gutted. I am wondering if the cam is off. (advanced?) Where should the cam sprocket pin be at TDC ?? Straight up at the 12 oclock possion?

Reply to
Dan

Yes, the cam index pin should be at 12:00 at TDC.

How does the car run? I wonder if you have some unmetered air getting into the system. The accordion pipe from the air cleaner gets cracks on the underside and can let air get in. Since it is on the other side of the MAS the computer doesn't see it and the car would tend to run lean

Another thing I've seen is the turbo coolant passages get clogged. I had a '86 parts car and the coolant lines are totally plugged. I also had an '87 that were getting there.

I don't recall my '88 glowing ever, but I'll have to take a look tonight.

If you ask over at Starquestclub, you may get someone that has had the same problem as yours that will say what they did.

Reply to
Richie Rich

If you have the Cats gutted then there is a chance your turbo is putting off more boost (less restriction) causing the car to run leaner(Hotter). May want to look into a boost gauge, EGT, a/f ratio gauge to monitor this activity and adjust the fuel curve.

Reply to
Techy Guy

my guess is no one else has looked at their mainfolds in the dark after a drive because this sound pretty normal to me. my GSX runs egt's around 1400*F on a highway cruise. black cherry color in steel is 900*F, orange is 1,600*F. normal operating range is enough to make your manifold glow in the dark.

Reply to
simpleton

You win the cookie..It is very common with a DSM and a little more boost.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

I can't speak as to the glow effect, but I know for damn sure that it is a bad idea to place one's bare hand on the hood or anywhere on the exhaust system of my 1990 Jeep Eagle Talon TSi (AWD). It gets really hot in very short order. One time I had a radiator hose rupture and the mechanic (very nice -- he kept his shop open after hours to help me and didn't gouge me on the price of the repairs) had to wait over an hour before he dared to put his (gloved) hands anywhere near the busted hose.

BTW, a lot of the interior lights in my car don't work, along with the radar detector wired into one of the light power lines. But the real problem is that the Reverse lights do not come on...cops are uncool about things like that. I don't want to burn $18 on a Chilton's Talon manual. Any ideas? (I have the manual, but it is in storage about 800 miles from Indianapolis where I'm job hunting at the moment.)

Regards, Mark "Can't wait 'til the snow starts falling -- my car loves it!" Gibson

Reply to
Mark Gibson