Help Please? Elantra engine codes

A friend of mine called today and said he had a check engine light on in his 2000 Elantra. Its a 2.0 ltr, and I have the VIN, but I can only find the codes for the engine, not how to retrieve them on a more recent model like his. I have found the diagnostic plug under the left hand side of the forward driver's skirt under the steering wheel. All the info I see pays reference to 14 pin diag plugs and my most recent reference is a

1997. I have looked at this thing twice and I swear it is a 16 pin.

Two ?'s. One, is there an online source that I am missing? I have Googled the hell out of this and still seem to be missing something. And two, I see references to using a voltmeter with an actual needle to get the codes on the pre 97 years, is that going to be necessary on this model year, because I have one, but it is back in aother state where I used to live and I have no access to one here at my current domicile.

A very heartfelt thank you to anyone with any information. The folks who own the car were very nice to my family when we first moved here, and I have fixed all their American cars, but the Hyundai kinda gives me the flashbacks of the Hondas I owned. Great cars, but they are more in depth and a "thinking man's" car than our Domestics, which I love.

Again, thank you in advance for any light you can help shine on this problem.

PC

Reply to
Flip