Hi late night car emergency

Hi, I'm having a late night emergency with my car. I'd appreciate anyone helping out and would be very greatful. It's a 96 Mitsubishi Magna SE and so far I've had no probs, had the car for about a year now and am up to date with service. I'm a bit suss on my latest mechanic though, as I've had to change from my old one due to a move, and I'm not sure the new one is checking everything. It has about 95,000 km on the clock. I've had some trouble with the lights being dim, which the mechanic didn't help any, and a mate suggested I unplug the battery, give it a clean, and plug it back in. The engine light was staying on a bit too long when I started the car (normally all warning lights light up the go off) but not at all while driving. When I reconnected the battery, and started the car, it started up, then dropped out. When I drove it around the block it would go fine until I braked or slowed, then the engine cuts out. I need to get to work tomorrow, and I would really appreciate any advice. I have a feeling it's something simple but I'm not very good when it comes to newer models. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read this and help out.

Reply to
meee

i would say check out the alternator...sounds like it might not be strong enough to keep your car going. :-/ try driving that car a bit with the lights off, and no stereo, just no electronics on at all, and see if it works any better that way.

Reply to
ballinjefe22

Adding to the previous reply, when you completely disconnect the battery the computer goes to factory default mode and needs to re-learn the car/engine. It is not uncommon for it to run rough or die after you put the battery back in after it was disconnected. This should pass within a few minutes or hours of driving. But, as the previous poster stated, it sounds like it may not be getting charged, or possibly not holding that charge. It could be either the alternator, or battery, or both. Have them load tested at a competent garage.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman