How much to replace water pump in '93 eclipse?

I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse that just recently the water pump messed up on. I noticed that the temp. gauge suddenly went from the middle to in the red and I drove it, slowly, for another mile before I had a place to stop. I had it towed and looked at and I was told it needs a new water pump, but might not be worth it because they whole motor has to be removed to get to it which could cost a lot of money. My question is does the engine have to be removed to change the water pump on this car? It's a GS model, 4 cylinder 16 valve DOHC. What are some ballpark estimates to fix it? Less than $500? More than $1,000? I need a car for the next year and I need to decide if it's worth it to fix it (since the transmission could go at any time among other little problems) or trade it in for something better. Thanks in advance, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Pulling the engine to change the water pump? Who told you that? I'll be nice and simply say to disregard anything else that person says.

To get to the pump means the timing belt has to come off. Typically probably around $300 for the labor. The water pump wouldn't add much to the labor cost. If you say what city and state you live in, there might be an experienced owner around there who would do the work for a decent price, and probably do it much better than most places, including Mitsubishi dealers. Or do a search on Club DSM and join your state or local DSM list and see if anyone wants to help. Oftentimes people will help for free if you provide the beer.

My concern is your driving that last mile "slowly" with the temp gauge in the red. If anything, you should have driven as fast as you could to get the car shut off. If it wasn't pegged fully hot, then there might not be any serious damage. A compression test should show any serious problems, and you don't need a good water pump to do a compression test.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
simpleton

Replace the thermostat. Run the engine for a few seconds with the thermostat removed to make sure the water pump is pumping the coolant.

Reply to
Eclipsed