I will bring her back to life.......it is my destiny............

Well me 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham with a built 455 could lift the left front wheel off the ground about 2 inches with stock suspension. OH YEAH BABY!!!! But right now its up on jack stands in garage with trans out. Been that way for 3 years.. Sadness...... ONE DAY WE SHALL RIDE AGAIN...... OH YES ..... WE WILL RIDE........ I will give life to her soon.... and we shall be together again...................

Reply to
Brian Sigourney

And this is of interest to the mitsubishi NG because ...?

Is it because three years ago the trans faced east and committed ceremonial hari-kiri?

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

I was just dreaming about my other car that is up on Jackstands. I have a

1990 GSX thats my daily driver..... I was off in another world Sorry!!

Reply to
Brian Sigourney

I was a GM mechanic in those days. The turbo 400 transmission was really durable, as long as you didn't rev it up in reverse. The 455 was a durable engine, just had a thirst for gas. My favorite in that series was the Cutlass 442 W30. I didn't like the body change in '78, nor much else that GM did after that.

The 350 V8s were a piece of crap, I never liked that engine. The 403 that Olsmobile built for a short time was a good engine, must be the reason they discontinued it. The turbo 350 transmission was another loser. We had new cars from the factory that we had to pull off of the transport with a wrecker because the transmission was DOA. That's about the time I moved my toolbox to an independent garage that serviced imports.

Mitsubishi's 4G63 turbo produce more HP than those old V8s. Though they may not have the low end torque of the 455, they'll get the job done and use a lot less gas. Using today's technology it seems the 455 could produce 745 HP and get over 20 MPG.

Good luck with that beast!

Brian Sigourney wrote:

Reply to
Gyzmologist

Way back when - I had a car that I would cruise and race on the streets with, we thought it was fast. It was a 1964 Buick Skylark hp rating of 210 I think. It got all of 16 mpg.

LOL With a few modifications, think my Eclipse is over 250 hp (have not dyno'ed it yet) and still averages about 27 mpg even with me jumping on the gas quite frequently. A lightly modified GSX would beat most if not all of the factory "muscle cars" in the quarter mile and the 4g63 has been built to over 1000 hp.

Reply to
john