intake manifold

I have a 1995 Mitshishi Mirage S with a 1.5L engine. My intake manifold is getting very hot, hot enough to burn a blister on my arm. Is this normal for this type of intake.

Reply to
Warlord5

All manifolds get hot, the turbo'd ones get even hotter (glow at night) after a good boost. That's why there should be a heat shield on it. It can actually blister the paint on the hood.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

The intake shouldn't get really hot unless the car has been turned off and it has sat for a bit or has been idling. Then it will heat soak because there is no air moving through the engine bay and temps go up. There are phenolic spacers and teflon gaskets to provide insulation from engine heat but you'll normally only find those available for performance engines.

Reply to
simpleton

My bad...read exhaust and not intake. However, my intake gets hot on the gt. It's aluminum and sits on top of the engine. Not blistering hot, but uncomfortable to touch.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

well, they do get hot, but yours sounds like its overheating. By any chance is there an exhaust leak in the engine bay? I had this on my turbo a while back, and there was a feedback effect in that the intake sucked in the exhaust, reducing the available O2, causing the engine to run lean, making it run hotter and hotter until the think just conked out. The intake manifold was noticably hotter than normal. Fixing the exhaust manifold leak fixed the problem.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS