lancer GTi '91 problems

Hi *

My GTi (4g67) have problems in some range of rpm (3-4 krpm and above 5.2 krpm). In that range engine is very loud. All of that occured after timing belt replacement. That job was done by my local mechanic, and after my complaining he was dealing with it for few times but always unsuccessfully. Is there a problem because of only timebelt replacement (not tensioners) or there is basic setup of timing belt? I have found a lot of instructions for 4g63 timing belt replacement but not for 4g67 (it's 1.8 16v, 136HP). As I could see that those two engines differs only in cylinder dimensions, head of engine is same? Locations of camshaft, tensioners and other stuff regarding timing belt seems to be same- so can I follow procedure for 4g63? There is also two versions of 4g63, which one is alike my engine Also engine have loss of compression on 4-th cylinder and my mechanic says that problem is with some warn valves. Strange for me is that engine was runing not perfect but ok, before timing belt replacement of course.... thx for all suggestions...

p.s-sorry for bad english

Reply to
Tomac

. My GTi (4g67) have problems in some range of rpm (3-4 krpm and above 5.2 . krpm). In that range engine is very loud. All of that occured after timing . belt replacement. That job was done by my local mechanic, and after my . complaining he was dealing with it for few times but always unsuccessfully.

Sounds like the Balance belts are out of alinement

. Is there a problem because of only timebelt replacement (not tensioners) or . there is basic setup of timing belt? . I have found a lot of instructions for 4g63 timing belt replacement but not . for 4g67 (it's 1.8 16v, 136HP). As I could see that those two engines . differs only in cylinder dimensions, head of engine is same? Locations of . camshaft, tensioners and other stuff regarding timing belt seems to be same- . so can I follow procedure for 4g63? There is also two versions of 4g63, . which one is alike my engine

Yes you can use the 4g63 16V procedure

. Also engine have loss of compression on 4-th cylinder and my mechanic says . that problem is with some warn valves. Strange for me is that engine was . runing not perfect but ok, before timing belt replacement of course.... . thx for all suggestions...

You will need to do a cylinder leakage test with comprested air to check if you have bent valves

p.s-sorry for bad english

Reply to
Fred

If its down on compression then the valve timing isnt correct. The 4G61 ( 1.6 ) and 4G67 ( same basic engine ) were very difficult to line up the timing marks on the inlet and exhaust cam sprockets.

Ask him to remove the top cover ( 4 bolts ) and recheck the valve timing , it shouldnt take more than 10 minutes to check.

As Fred has suggested , the balance shafts may be out too , but this wouldnt cause a loss of compression so you may have a problem with alignment on BOTH belts.

Jeff

[...]

Jeff Dawson

The mechanic got the cam timing correct but did not align the balance belt and oil pump correctly, so now the balance shaft is running about 90 degrees out of phase. The loud noise you describe is severe vibration that can rattle the oil filter off. Its NOT (a new) exhaust rattle that is the common excuse. Have the mechanic do the job again (at no charge to you), this time following the complete process described by mitsubshi. Its essentially the same as the 4G63 process.

With the necessary covers and brackets off, its possible to start the engine to test. If it rattles at about 3000 rpm, the balance and oil pump are still wrong.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

thx. to all, and I am definite to change my mechanic for maintaining my baybe...

Reply to
Tomac

thx. to all, oil pump was out of phase and timing belt wasn't tightened enough, problem is solved and car is running normally again.

Reply to
Tomac