manual transmission question

for a 2006 lancer manual transmission, say the car is running at barely 25 miles per hour and its in the fith gear, needless to say there is no power and barely struggling, so the question is, if i press the gass pedal to the metal to try to get more power, (i know it doesnt make sense to do this but) will this waste more gas or will the fuel injection limit how much gas gets in? or will my gas milege go horrible if i do this.

behind the question is because my older brother told me to do this instead of downshifting saying its ok do to. sound retarded but he has been driving manual since he was 16 and he is 34 now.

Reply to
AirborneDSM

Call your brother a moron to his face and then smile really big.... "Lugging" on your motor like this is not good and is said to possibly damage exhaust valve margins. All of the DSM people have found better economy in a quick/brisk downshift. Mashing the gas in 5th is going to take you out of closed loop fuel control and right on to an open loop,high load fuel map. End result is using more fuel driving like your brother.

Reply to
simpleton

AirborneDSM ha scritto:

the best mileage is obhtained when the engine runs near the max. torque point, to run in 5th gear at too low speed means bad gas consumption, damage in engine, poor performances. it's better to run in 4th or 3rd between 2000 rpm and the max torque point (check it on the technical specification on your manual). this is also because, with automatic gearboxes, it's more easy to reach a good average mileage than with manual gearbox, which needs skill and attention all the time.

andrea

Reply to
Andrea