Mist in 3000GT SL engine.. running on 5 cylinders instead of 6?

Ok so I take the trip to a car dealership to check out a 3000GT SL. It appears i n great shape.. I'm told it has a "mist" in the engine and that the car may be running on 5 cylinders instead of 6.. I'm clueless about this since i'm not mechanically incline... Does ANYONE here know what this means? The guy says it prob. could cost $2,000 to fix it.. Can anyone give me a very vague rough idea what I may be facing. The car is $8,100 and only needs that work. Thanks!

Reply to
krakle

He means a "miss" ie one cylinder is not firing. The dealer wants to sell this car as is, in the hope some idiot will buy it and pay for the repair. The miss could be caused by a variety of problems, some cheap, some expensive.

Since you know very little about cars, don't even consider this vehicle (or any other vehicle for that matter) if its not running properly. You might try offering them $8100 IF they get the car running correctly first.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

again, it's just like stewart sez.... the spark plugs are a huge pain in the ass to remove on that car, so it may be as simple as that but since you are not a car person, run. these older mitsu's make great project cars as stewart and i have proven but i have true pitty for the average driver stuck with one and depending on it daily.

Reply to
simpleton

I certainly wouldn't pay 8K for a non-turbo...especially since the "mist" could be anything from a plug to a new short block. I would pay 8K for a VR4 with a "mist"....maybe.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Guys.. I'm not mechanically incline... "mist" is "miss".. excuse me.. geesh... Anyways... I have never seen a VR-4 with decent mileage for $8,000... Even the 1993 VR-4 with 12x,000 miles goes for $10k^...

Reply to
krakle