Mitsi Carisma Timing Belt

Hi

I have a 2001 Carisma with 40000 miles on clock.

Although I have another 14000 miles to go on timing belt, can anyone tell me if there is a time limit after which I should change the belt? I have had the car for 5 years since new and love it. eg it is often "54000 miles or three years, whichever is sooner".

Also, does anyone know if the timing belt breaks on these, will there be engine damage or am I safe?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Reply to
NewModelArmy

I put a cambelt on our 1996 (107,000 miles now ) 1.8 GLX Auto last year. The first belt change - at 54k - was by the Dealer and they must have used a big air impact wrench because I had a devil of a job to get the crankshaft pulley bolt undone.

I also did the water pump and roller tensioner at the same time last year as the cambelt - because if either seizes you are again in big trouble, and we were over the 100k.

So my Carisma has done the 54k on each belt, and probably 5-6 years elapsing on the second belt.

Sorry cannot answer the time limit question, but I would be thinking of a belt change if I were you.

Most modern engines do a pretty good wrecking job if the belt goes

- I think it was only older Ford and Vauxhall of the early 80's (Cortina/Pinto engine etc) where the pistons did not smack into the valves.

On K series Rovers it is 60k / 5 years - eg on my Son's Vi twin cam.

CW

Reply to
C W