mitsubishi 3000gt electrical problems

My daughter has a 98 3000gt. Sunday she had the oil changed and on the way home the car quit with a dead battery and wouln not run when jumped. She charged the battery overnight started it in the morning and drove to where she had the oil changed to see if they had unplugged something or other. They assured her they had not but checed the alternator and said it was bad. She then took the car yesterday to a shop and they confirmed she did need an alternator and installed one. At the time she was visiting family in Tampa. After the new alternator she drove at night 115 miles backto Gainesville sing lights,air , radio, etc., and the voltmeter was @ just under 14 volts. She parked the car overnight and it started fine today, but she noticed the meter only registered 12 volts and rapidly declined. She took it to a branch of the same company that fixed it in Tampa, and they said the alternator was burned up, and they will tend to it in the AM under warranty. She needs to take the car on the road Thurs. and I am concerned that it may be some other problem. I would appreciate any help or ideas. Thanks

allang

Reply to
allang

Well it still could be an alternator problem. Since she drove it at night and used a lot of electrical accessories then maybe the battery did not have a good chance to recharge, but the replacement alternator might be bad anyway. Other than that I would check the battery and ground connections, using a digital voltmeter to look for voltage differences between parts that should be at the same potential.

A rather cheap digital voltmeter (dvm) is great for checking these things out.

GK

Reply to
GK

How old is the battery and in what condition? Just a thought but it could be loading the alternator and causing it to fail prematurely... That said, I'd have expected additional signs of problems there and also would have expected the place that did the work to verify it was good.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I have a dodge stealth, same vehicle basically, a few years ago my battery needed water in the cells and it was causing the alternator to read as bad. the meter showed the alternator was only charging 9 volts, after adding the water it read 14 volts again.

I learned something else that day. You do not want to roll start a 3000gt or stealth with a dead battery. I blows the plug out of the AC. Scared the hell out of me and the wife. That was why I didn't think of the battery right away when everything was showing bad.

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander