Mitsubishi Carisma Engine Trouble

I have a 1996 Carisma, that I am now having a spot of trouble with.

From cold, the engine starts first time. After driving a few miles, the engine warning light comes on and the engine judders randomly. The car keeps going fine, but when I stop the engine, and try to start again, the engine starts, sounding very rough though, only goes for three seconds, and then cuts out. After about twenty minutes, the car will start again though.

I have had the coils checked out, and their fine. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Reply to
SantaUK

If your car has an ignition module you might want to check that next.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Hi,

You might want to look at the commets I received on a similar problem

Look down to CHARISMA NOT STARTING.

On list 20/10/2005.

Then a later

Charisma not starting Update.

Johnny UK.

Reply to
JM

Sounds like Water temp sensor troubles , If its faulty it will tell the engine its -65,C In other words pretty cold . When the engine warms up, it still tells it its icy cold ,In other words full choke. jonny .

Reply to
jonny

The 96 Carisma appears have either a 4g15 or 4g93. Since the problem occurs when the engine is hot, the first thing I suspect is the tappets are tight. As an engine ages, the valves tend to wear into their seats a few thou, and cause the tappet clearances to be reduced. This means the valves don't fully close, and rough running results. When the engine cools down a bit, the valves seal properly and the engine runs.

The 4g15 is known to be susceptable to tight tappets, 4g93 likely also. Get them adjusted and see what happens.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

No it's not. The original poster says "From cold, the engine starts first time.". If the water temp sensor is faulty or disconnected, starting from cold is often very difficult.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I beg to differ BUT, ...... When the motor is cold the tappets are tight ,And the engine has starting problems.When the motor is warm the tappets open up and the engine runs ok . This is a common starting problem with colt/lancer that have not had regular servicing, Never experienced this on carisma . Absolutly worth checking the tappets though , jonny.

Reply to
jonny

Hi ,

What engine is in the vehicle ?

1.6 , 1.8 , 1.8 GDI or 1.9 Diesel ?
Reply to
Jeff Dawson

This vehicle has either a 4G92 1.6 , 4G93 1.8 or F8QT 1.9 with adjustable valve clearances or the 4G93 GDI with hydraulic lash adjusters. And tight tappetts wont cause the check engine light to come on. The 4G15 was never fit into the Carisma.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Dawson