Mitsubishi Carisma - fuel pump problem?

Hi,

I own a '96 Mitsubish Carisma and while driving it on the motorway this morning I noticed an odd noise coming from the rear left hand side of the car. It sounded a bit like air escaping (although it was hard to tell because of the road noise). The noise only seems to occur if I'm driving over 40mph and over 3000 revs - it doesn't happen if I rev up the engine while stationary which seems a bit odd.

Is the fuel pump knackered or could that noise mean anything else?

Thanks,

Hajo

Reply to
Hajo Spuunup

There is an access hatch to the fuel pump under the middle of the rear seat - try taking that off and see if the noise is worse.

The pump is retained by a large threaded plastic ring which is difficult to remove without a special tool. Early rings were made out of a brittle palstic and can crack.

How do I know - I shut down the local filling station because of a split ring !

I think the pump is fed with a constant 12 volt supply so the pump noise should be constant.

Or it could be a whining rear wheel bearing or sticky brake shoe?

CW

(1996 Carisma owner)

Reply to
C W

Hi Hajo,

I had the same problem with my Galant 99 V6. I'ts a permanent zoooooommmm-ing sound beneath the rear seats and starts when the engine is running. And it's getting worser i'm afraid. A new fuelpump is very expensive. The dealer told me that it only can be ordered complete with all the accessoires. Costs incl. garage in The Netherlands approx. ? 650,-. I replaced it with a second hand Space Star 2002 fuelpump. Costs ? 170,- :) incl. garage (s.h. pump costs approx. ? 50,-). They told me in the dump that most of the Mitsubishi-pumps are the same....

Btw; you know the Carisma is in fact a Dutch car? It is assembled by Nedcar in Born......:)?

Succes!

Ignas Kuppens Nijmegen Holland

"C W" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Ignas Kuppens

Thanks Ignas and CW for your answers, think I'll have to take it into the garage and get it looked at. Still don't understand why the noise only occurs at speed but not when I rev it up while parked. Maybe I'll post a follow-up if the garage finds anything interesting...

Hajo

Reply to
Hajo Spuunup