Mitsubishi Galant 2001 - spark plugs

My wife's car had the Service Engine light - and the code showed a mis-fire on #2.

The local shop said that the valve gasket needed to be replaced, along with the plugs & wires - because oil was getting into the "spark plug tube".

Can someone show me a diagram, photo, or drawing of this situation - as I'm having a hard time mentally picturing how these new spark plug locations have anything to do with being inside the valve cover area & what the heck are these "tubes" being mentioned ?

Additional Details I just went and looked under the hood. It appears that the plugs are located "thru" the valve cover (new to me) and look very different than what I'm used to seeing... They are on top - just behind the OIL knob. There are 4 round rubber boots - and every other one has a small "black box" on to and daisy chained to another cylinder. Left to right - 1 & 4 connected together, and 2 & 3 connected together.

Opened the Oil cap and looked at the #1 position and it appears to have a tube for the spark plug - sort of like a missle silo....

Can someone help with a little education or URL pointer to explain what all this is - vs the old days...

Reply to
ps56k

The "missile silo" is the "spark plug tube" mentioned. This is pressed into the head at the bottom, but on the top there is a circular seal that is held in place by the valve cover. These seals get hard with age and lets oil splashing around on the valve gear get into the tube. This has the potential to cause arcing (hence the Misfire code). The seals are $3-4 each. The work is

- pull out plug 1 and 2, and VERIFY there really is oil in there.

If so ... then

- removing the remaining leads and plugs, taking the valve cover off (15 minutes max)

- fitting the new tube seals on to the plug tube tops (for me < 30 seconds, but let's say 2 minutes)

- cleaning the (probably partially carbonised) oil from the tube, plugs and leads (15 minutes)

- replacing the valve cover (preferably with a new valve cover seal), leads and plugs (10 minutes)

- Reset the Misfire code

- See if the Misfire code still occurs. If it does, then replace the plug wires.

Hence this is a 1 to 1.5 hour job IMHO. If you are quoted 2 or more hours, get another quote elsewhere.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

tnx for the reply - I just had not seen this config on my jeep or chevy - so it just looked really strange to me...

Reply to
ps56k