montero head gasket retorque

have just installed new cylinder heads (old ones cracked) on my 1990 3.0 montero. the new gaskets seem to be graphite. at least they are the color of graphite. can anyone advise on issue of if they need to be retorqued after initial installation? am getting several different opinions. some say no need if they are graphite, others say retorque anyway after cooling or while still hot??

Reply to
kronos

According to the shop manual the torque should be applied in three stages up to 72 ft-lbs. There is no mention of re-torqueing.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Check out

One of the members recently rebuilt a 3.0l. He found a few things that you need to check. Such as....

1) Be sure to clean the head bolt holes. Use a bottom tap to clean the threads. 2) Measure each head bolt. 3) Measure the head thickness at each bolt hole. 4) Thread each bolt into the block without the head on and measure the exposed bolt length.

It seems that if the head is trimmed, it may cause the head bolts to bottom out in the block. This means that the head won't be clamped to the block. Do some searches on 4x4wire, there is a lot of good info there.

Reply to
mg

Thanks for that info. My Chilton or Haynes does'nt mention re-torquing either. But I have a CD thats supposed to be "from the shop manual the service dealers use". There is quite a bit of technical info and specs not found in my manuals. So they say you should re-torque after the 1st warm-up and complete cooldown cycle. But then they don't talk about graphite gaskets or TTY head bolts which are relatively new.

Reply to
kronos

Thats something I should have thought of but did'nt. I installed 2 rebuilt heads that were resurfaced. By how much I don't know. Since almost everything is back together I sure hate to take the heads back off. Maybe i can remove 1 bolt at at time and measure the depth of each hole from the top of the heads. Or try to get a vise grip on the flat washers and see if I can turn them. If I can't the bolts should be tight against the heads,

Reply to
kronos