my 95 eclipse is stuck in neutral whats the problem

i was driving my eclpise and when i shifted from first to secound it went into neutral and stayed there every thing is like how it was before when it was driving fine it just wont get out of neutral can some one please help me??

Reply to
hespey25

So ... is it ACTUALLY in neutral or does the car not move in any gear? Was your 1-2 shift abrupt? Do you do this often? You've certainly broken something. But what...

Could be the clutch has failed, but this would make it hard or impossible to get into gear. Assuming that the stick will select 1st, let the clutch out. Do you hear any sort of grinding or tinkling sound? If so you've probably broken one of the CV axle shafts that fit into the diff. Its not uncommon for heavily appreciated (ie abused) transmissons.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

archive:

You shifted (i.e. MOVED your gear selector) from 1st to 2nd, did your gear selector stay in 2nd? Can you move the selector into any gear? What happens when you do? If the car (gearbox) stays in neutral then most likely it is the gear shift hand/rod - whatever you want to call it. It is the metal rod connecting the gearbox to the gear selector, check if it is intact and connected at both ends...

Reply to
fast_cars_guy