My Summit GTX turbo is BACK !

Just got the car back with the rebuilt 4G63T installed. What a joy: the lifters are quiet, it doesn't blow smoke, revs higher and when asked it hauls some serious ass ...

Have to adjust the timing and clean up a few loose ends, as it seems to be running a bit lean.

Next, on to the AWD conversion.

Here's a bit of trivia for you all: My 93 Expo AWD van has the 4G64-16v SOHC. The cam belt developed a problem and twice in 3 days jumped a couple of teeth. I think the problem was slight oil contamination, as the timing cover was damaged and letting in some oily dirt. Fortunately, two teeth is not enough to bend valves in the 4G64-16v. Put in a new belt and its been OK for a week.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

I'm glad to hear that....it's 4 teeth to bend valves. Been there, done that.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Reply to
Branigan

So why I wonder don't more people do it? Even a non-turbo 4G63 DOHC in a Summit / Colt runs pretty well. Maybe the cognoscenti drive quiet understated Mitsubishis with REAL performance, and the illiterati drive Civics with loud intakes and fart pipes (except maybe the local guy with a NOXed turbo Civic).

0- 60mph? Faster than a standard 90-94 Eclipse / Talon, as the GTX is about 300lb lighter. The 93 Lancer GSR (4-door) had essentially the same engine, and these pulled a 16 sec quarter. With an old non turbo 135hp 4G63 DOHC, the GTX would do 0-100kph in around 12 sec. With the turbo, ... don't know, but less. I'll take it out tonite and get a rough measurement. I'd guess around 8 - 9 seconds.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I think people dont because of the space to do the prOject. Plus the tools, that is what kills me. I do stop by your site often, to see what you are working on. Great job, talk soon...

Reply to
branigan

8 - 9 seconds 0-100 kph is about right. It pulls 90+ kph in 2nd too. Zoom, zoom...

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Stewart! You're granny shifting! A bone stock 1G DSM runs 0 to 60 mph in 7 seconds. I'm doing 3.7 in a full weight 2G GSX. Once you're sorted out, you should shave a couple of seconds off your time. Nice to hear that your back on the road.

Reply to
simpleton

Well, I just counted 1000, 2000, 3000 etc. Hardly an accurate count. "granny shifting" ? Well, I suppose so, but I try for fastest gear change while maintaining mechanical sympathy for the transmission. I have the C50PH trans out of a 91 JDM Galant GSR AWD, so it has the infamous slow 1-2 synchro.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Just teasing you.... I did my by reviewing a data log I captured with DSMlink. I am unfamilliar with your trans. How does it differ from the W5M33?

Reply to
simpleton

Yes, I know ...

There's also the C50PJ from the 92 JDM Galant GSR. (Aside: JDM Lancer GSR's had another W5M31 variant trans with significantly different ratios and final drive, though giving about the same overall reductions, but requiring a 3.9 rear diff (same as the old Vista 4WD Wagon)).

Both are W5M33 variants with a longer (higher ratio) 1st gear. Other ratios are nearly the same. Same final drive as the W5M33 and hence same 3.545 rear diff as the DSM. Main difference is it can be externally switched to FWD from AWD. One plunger locks the center diff and hence the viscous coupler, and the other freewheels the transfer case. I installed this so I can drive the car while I get the rear diff and crossmember stuff organized.

Installing AWD in the 4G coupe requires Lancer GSR / EVO3 rear trailing arms, cutting out part of the trunk floor and welding / fabrication to fit a removable rear crossmember that supports the diff and the lower control arms, then replacing the floor. The fuel tank has to be channeled or moved, and the exhaust rerouted.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Reply to