Need your suggestions

Hi There! My 2000 Mitsubishi Galant needs 60000 miles service and I am shopping for the best services @resonable price. I checked with the Mitsubishi show room people & Gemini Automotive care center and they are saying that it will cost around 1100 dollars to do this service(timing belt and all fluids change). I was just wondering, is it going to cost that much to do this kind of service? If no, could you please suggest me any alternative service center. btw, I live in Atlanta, GA.

Thanks in advance for your valuble suggestions.

-Katekaneni

Reply to
Katekaneni

If you are mechanically inclined, do it yourself. Yes, the dealer will charge that much. It shouldn't cost more than 300 at anywhere else.

Reply to
Robert Honea

On my VR4 I can expect to pay £500 (that's uk sterling) for a timing belt change. But you will need it changed by 60000.

That's what's bumping up the price.

Reply to
da

If it's a V6 it ought to be around $600-650 for the service. If it's a

4-cyle probably more around $500. The labor to get to the back spark plugs is what brings it up. Those are dealership prices. Take another $100 or so off if you go independant.
Reply to
DragonRider

I am really thankful to all of you for your valuble responses. Dragon, it's a V6 one and do you have any one in your mind who can do this kind of service(changing the timing belt and all fluids) at this price?

Thanks.

Reply to
Katekaneni

Hi Katekaneni,

Did you get the complete service done? My local dealer is offering the same price deal - about $500 for the V6 60,000 mile service and another $500 for the timing belt change.

I've been looking over the manual and it says about the timing belt:

"CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS AND VERMONT ONLY: Regular and Severe Maintenance Schedules - It is recommended, but not required, to replace the timing belt and balancer belt (if equipped on your vehicle) at 60,000 mile intervals"

What does that mean for other states - is it REQUIRED, or NOT REQUIRED?

It seems to me that the $500 timing belt replacement charge is at no discount, so do I have to do it at the same time as the 60K mile service, or can I spread the cost out by doing it a bit later? I've already got new brakes and new tires in the pipeline for the next two months.

Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Himanshu) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If it's like a 3kgt and you do the timing belt later but do the plugs now, doesn't the same stuff have to come off for the plugs & belt? You paying twice for part of it.

I looked at my manual for 3kGT. Similar to what you said about the belt not required. Only says CA for 1996 not required. In fact, it shows none are "required" to the end of the table. Being an interference engine, it's not the smartest thing to skip. Maybe it's something to do with warranty? For some goofy reason they can't use the lack of a belt change as an excuse to have you pay vs them paying.

I mean, you don't HAVE to run it with oil in it but you're gonna pay!

Reply to
Al Bundy

Maybe...that's why I was wondering if the dealer was going to give me a price break if I do it at the same time as the 60K mile servicing.

The intention was not to avoid the timing belt change, the intenion was to spread the cost out over a few months as I mentioned in my original post. So what I need to do is check with the dealer and see if he will make me a deal if I do it all togther. I understand that I may want to have the water pump replaced at the same time as the timing belt change, so that will add further to the total cost.

Himanshu

Reply to
Himanshu

You wont get a price break from the dealer to get both services done. I got the 60K done at the dealer and shopped around to get my timing belt done. I saved about $200.00 doing it that way.

Reply to
BEEG-O

Hi Himanshu, No, I am still looking for best prices(In fact, I was out of station for last couple of weeks). Here in Atlanta, I found one service center and they said that they will charge $300/- for timing belt, but they are saying that they have to change the inginition cables also which will cost around $350/- . Apart from these two charges they are asking around $300/- for all other fuilds(they didn't mentioned the transmission fluid) and vechile inspection. I am not sure wheter they are going to change the spark plugs or not. Now, I am unable to decide what I should do.

I think in all those listed states timing belt replacement is not required.

btw, last month itself I have replaced the tires and I don't know about the brakes condition.

Katekaneni

Reply to
Katekaneni