No Start 3000GT

I recently had a 3 angle valve job and new valve guide seals put on my 94 Mitsubishi 3000GT. I disassembled and reassembled the heads myself and put all new gaskets and seals on every part I took off. After it was all put together I attempted to start it and nothing. I checked for timing and it was a tooth off on one cam so I retimed it..still nothing. I checked spark on every plug with a spark tester (all spark), fuel psi was within spec, fuel is getting to the cylinder, timing is dead on, and nothing is restricting air flow. I noticed however that coolant was leaking from the back bank of the right corner and no where else. After fooling with it myself for a month I took it to a mechanic recommended by an associate. He has finally come to the conclusion that the valves are bent. In his explaination the coolant leak was his proof that they were bent. I, however, am extremely sceptical of that alligation. It's been too long since this thing has been running and I would appreciate any insight you might have. Thank you in advance for the help.

Reply to
mikek7

Coolant leak would indicate a cracked head or gasket problem, not bent valves.

I ran into the same thing when I rebuilt the engine in my Eclipse. I had a machine shop install new guides, 1MM oversized valves, and port the head. I bought new HKS cams just before I reassembled the engine. I knew something was wrong when I cranked it over as it didn't sound like it had compression. I ran a compression test and found none of the cylinders had compression. I pulled the valve cover and discovered that the valves were not closing completely. The valve stem height was too tall. I took the head back to the machine shop and they fixed it for me for free.

Run a compression check. If you have little or no compression then check the lash adjusters. With no oil in the lash adjusters you should be able to compress them at least 0.030" with the valve closed and cam lobe pointing away from rocker arm. If not then the valve stem height is too tall. This can happen if you use new valves, grind too much off of the valve seat which sinks the valves into the head too far, or grind too much off of the valve face.

If you are not too far from Gilbert, AZ take it to Basko Engine Service.

Reply to
Gyzmologist