ODBII and ABS

I have a 1996 2G Eclipse and need to read the ABS code, what type of scanner works? I checked the local parts stores and the Actron scanner at about $180 says it does not support ABS. I emailed one scanner companies that sell hardware and software for your PC and they said they don't support ABS either - what are you supposed to use?

Reply to
John A

Normally OBDII is only in the central computer on any vehicle. By that I mean that you talk to the central ECU (ETAC), and it talks to the other ECU's. Under most conditions you can not talk directly to , for example, the ECU computer module for the ABS. All the scan tools talk to the main ECU (ETAC) and only the main ECU, and through that you talk to the other units.

The main ECU should provide you with all the error codes for the ABS module.

In Mitsubishi's world, of late, the various ECU's are tired together, and talk to each other over what is call "SWS" or simplified wire system. One wire is designated as a communication line, common to all ECU modules.

Each ECU can talk to another ECU, but usually only to the ETAC (server) ECU.

Mitsubishi does have a device similar to a scan tool, that plugs into the SWS system (separate connector under the dash) and allows trouble shooting over the communication wire. This tool allows the user to control the other functions of the other ECU's.

If your into electronics, think of it as a "sniffer". A device that monitors network communications.

To date I have found nothing outside of Mitsu., that supports communication on this data link.

New cars soon will have standardized on the, "CAN" network. Thats, Control Area Network. You can thank (or curse) the US government, for forcing all vehicle manufacturers to standardize on a single network, for vehicle communications.

There are currently "sniffers" available for the "CAN" network, but other than Mitsu's version, nothing for the current, or even your, version of the Eclipse.

Mitsu uses their version of a "scan tool" (MB991502) for monitoring the ABS codes. These are present at the standard OBDII connector. They also use a tool (MB991529) for checking ABS codes. This tool appears to do nothing more than ground pin one of the OBDII connector, so that you can read the ABS codes from the flashing "ABS warning light".

The manually says "Use special tool MB991529 to ground number 1 terminal of the data link connector". It goes on to say, "Read out a diagnostic trouble code by observing how the warning light flashes".

I've left out a few steps, so it won't work if you try it, this post is already getting to long.

Error codes go from "11" to "63" The manual also says " Tool not necessary if scan tool is available".

Good Luck

John A wrote:

Reply to
Nirodac