oil consumption on 03 montero & tecnical service bulletins.

I have 20k miles on my montero and using 5w-30 Mobil 1 motor oil. I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. I noticed that the engine has been consuming about a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Has anyone else experienced this? I found a technical service bulletin on the '03 monteros (03-11-001) at alldata.com but I dont have access to the actual bulletin. Does anyone know where I can find this? Please point me in the right direction. Ive never owned a car that lost this much oil. Before I forget, there is no oil on the ground in my garage and no visible oil leaking from under the engine. Maybe its the valve seals? I never notice smoke....

Thanks

Reply to
tj90

Have you tried:

Nirodac

I looked at the TSB on Alldata. That is referring to a "Oil consumption test". It is just a form and some guidelines to see if you are consuming oil. It has no hints on a possible cause.

As for your problem, go to the dealer and tell them what you are noticing. You should still be under warranty and need some documentation now. Make sure you get it documented because I may take a while for them to figure it out.

I doubt it's valve stem seals. Symptoms for that condition is oil smoke at startup after sitting a while. A small amount of this is fine, but doesn't lead to burning a lot of oil. It usually means a couple of drops of oil made it past the stems. Believe me, a couple of drops in each cylinder can make quite a puff of smoke.

IMHO that's a lot of oil for a car with 20K. It has to be going somewhere. If it's not on the ground, it has to be burning up in the engine or collecting in the coolant. Don't exclude the top of the engine when looking for leaks, however. It could be leaking out the valve cover or spark plug seals.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

my '01 (3.5l petrol) uses maybe 1/2qt between ~5k mile changes (also 5w-30 M1). yours definitely seems excessive. i'd have it looked at.

dookie

Reply to
dookie

Thank goodness. I have the same problem with a 2001 eclipse with only

25,000 miles. I can't believe this isn't a more common problem. I go throught the same amount of oil, no oil in the coolant, no smoke from the exhaust. Parking the car in the Garage with no oil leaks???????? Took it in to the dealer, and they are clueless. I am currently going through their bullitin that you posted to have them check it every 1500 miles. Will let you know how it turns out. Doesn't look good so far. I checked the Office of Defects website for this recal and nothin'. This stinks.
Reply to
The_Rooster