Okay, What am I missing here...

I'm new to the Mitsubishi ranks but this is getting ridiculious. I have a 1992 Eclipse GS 2.0 DOHC non-turbo. It wasn't getting any vacuum for the EGR. I removed the throttle body and cleaned it (boy was it dirty). Fine, I now have vacuum. Once I had it back together I was a bit disappointed that it still idled a bit too rough so I grabbed the carb clean and took a look around. Bingo, intake leaks either the manifold or the injectors. I replaced all the injector seals (top and bottom) and the intake manifold gasket. Still has leaks at the injectors and they really do feel too loose. The old rubber insulators at the manifold were hard as a rock so I figured the new ones should seal good... nope. Carb cleaner sprayed at the injectors still get a little bit of a idle increase. Sprayed low (in the general area of the egr/underside of the manifold) and it really picks up.

Is this engine prone to intake leaks? unmetered air/vacuum leaks is really taking it's toll ont he performance.

Reply to
mike

No, like any engine its prone to ageing of components and seals. Yours is 13 years old. For the leak under the manifold, there's a vacuum valve screw in device with two hoses. These tend to leak or sometimes break off. You may find that its better to take the intake manifold assembly off the head completely, take it apart and clean it, and replace the vacuum hoses and manifold gaskets.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Just some thoughts.....Apparently your EGR is the diaphragm type since you mention vacuum.....If you hook the vac pump directly to the diaphragm vac port, will it hold vac for a good period of time? Next I would suspect a leak around the pintle shaft.....If there is a temp sensor screwed into the side of the EGR, is it tight? Then there is the EGR gasket. Probably a thin aluminum piece which might burn out if the EGR body is a bit loose on its mount. On my Expo I just take the EGR off about every 30K and bead blast the insde and spray hell out of the pintle shaft to make sure everthing is clean and moving freely. Then there are those EGR solenoids on the firewall. Are they opening and closing properly? You should not have constant vac to the EGR..It opens intermittently I believe and the solenoids control this. And they are controlled by the ECU..But then your whole system may be different than mine. Is yours a 2.4?

Reply to
Outlander

I don't if it works the same on a petrol engine but on a diesel blank off the ERG to improve power and fuel economy, I got a 19% improvement on a 2.4TD!!

Reply to
wemfish