Outlander rust in rear door, what to do?

I have a 2004 Outlander, that has a bit of rust in the rear door. It is not much, I just want to be absolutely sure it does not spread, and preferably stops developing. I used to grind my old car's door, give it some paint, and then it looked good for about two months till it came back, and with more rust. So I am looking for a profesional solution, that can stop it for good.

Any good idears?

Regards Jimmi

Reply to
Jimmi Nielsen

Jimmi Nielsen ha scritto:

hi, if you feel sound you should act as follows:

1- strip down all interior door panels and check whether the rust starts from inside.

2- grind out all the rust so you reach the clean metal

3- close the holes with fiberglass resin: I did it when I changed the rear spoiler on my mitsu and it works great.

4- sand the exterior side to plain surface, then give a 1st hand of spray primer on both sides

5- after 2 days the primer is solid. sand it with 500-600 grain sandpaper and paint with spray original color.

6- polish and fit all dismantled parts.

Depending on your hands and on the colour of your car, the final result should be decent and long lasting, provided that all rust has been removed and that you checked if something inside was the cause of the rust (sometimes interior panels retain moisture and brings metal to rust)

bye andrea

Reply to
Andrea

Wow, what a piece of work, but cool! I think I will pay a professional to do this for me, his hands are probably better than mine :-) But you gave me a good idea on which direction to move in. Thanks!

Jimmi

Reply to
Jimmi Nielsen

Doesn't Mitsubishi have 10 years and unlimited mileage rust warranty??!!

Reply to
morshedbashir