Pajero Heater

I have a 1991 Pajero on which the heater has stopped working. I didn't need it through the summer (used just air conditioning which is still fine), and now its colder I find the heater is not doing anything. The thermostat would seem to be OK as the temperature guage is where it should be and the matrix does not have an air lock. Have also checked visible fuses behind the dahsboard.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Leigh Hunt

So we can assume that the fan is working. The heater does not have any fuses, it uses coolant from the radiator for heat.

Could be several things: a) the heater core is blocked: drain you coolant and put a water hose on to the core inlet, and then outlet to dislodge the build up of sludge. b) one of the heater hoses has collapsed. Give them a squeeze, and if they are soft and pliable, replace them. See a) above while you are at it. c) the temp setting on the dash connects to a simple valve that restricts coolant flow through the core. Check if this control is actually turning the valve.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

Hi, try this links

U.K. Pajero Owners Website(10.000 members) all info is free with no need to even register. Regards Reid (Plunkster) 1991 Mk2 2.5Tdi Auto Blue over Silver

Reply to
Reid

this problam can be caused by the blower motor giving up the ghost.

rhys

Reply to
rnf2

Thanks for the suggestions - The fan seems to be working well, it just blows cold air and there doesn't seem to be anything on POC. any more ideas gratefully received as I'm freezing

Leigh

Reply to
Leigh Hunt

leighhunt snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Leigh Hunt) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Disclaimer: Not a gear head. Not even close.

Chance the fan clutch is defective? - constantly engaged. With the engine cold and OFF, shouldn't you be able to spin the fan faily easily? And when you start in the morning, fan should not be spinning full force I would think.

And of course, the posibility the in-vehicle hot/cold air mix adjuster is not working.

Reply to
Al Bundy

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 15:56:59 GMT, Al Bundy scribbled:

I think everyone is referring to the in-cab heater/blower fan assembly which is behind the dash board. The actual engine fan has nothing to do with the heating fan.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

You could try checking that your thermostat is working.........if its stuck in the open position then its not allowing the water from the engine to heat up properly because its allowing the water to flow to the radiator and heater straight away before reaching the required temperature.

Also the controll unit powers up and the fan comes on and you can feel air blowing out of the vents but you cannot get hot air???? Is the above correct??. If so look for a motor controlled valve that opens the water line into the matrix. This will be under the dash somewhere. I am assuming you have set your temperature up as high as it will go. Regards Reid (Plunkster) 1991 Mk2 2.5Tdi Auto Blue over Silver

Reply to
Reid

Phillip Weston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No but it has to do with the collant going past the fan.

He mentioned the in-cab is working. What I was referring to is a possibility where the thermostat is good and the coolant is properly circulating. The engine fan cools the radiator fluid and operates based on temperature. If the engine fan clutch goes bad while the fan is engaged, it constantly over-cools the fluid.

...unless it's electric, then no fan clutch.

...then there's the added "StopLeak" syndrome that plugs up the heater core :-)

Reply to
Al Bundy