Plymouth Arrow ignition

Greetings All, I have a 2 liter engine from a 1980 Dodge D50. I'm trying to run it on an engine stand. I have run into a problem with the ignition. It appears the distributor and ignition coil are wired in parallel and not in series. I have consulted a wiring diagram and confirmed it is supposed to be wired this way. The engine was running when we removed it but now I'm not getting spark. Can anyone explain how this distributor could be pulsing the current in the coil, when it is electrically parallel to the coil?

Thanks Glen

Reply to
G Ray

Have you ensured that the ECU's rust sensor is working properly? Those particular ECUs need to be in proximity to a large mass of rusting steel in order for it to energize the ignition system. You will need to bypass the rust sensor if you want to run the engine on a bench.

Reply to
Bhagat Gurtu

No I've never heard of a rust sensor. I'm hoping it's not like blinker fluid or muffler bearings. Tell me more about the rust sensor. Where is it and what does it look like? Is it just an open or closed prox switch?

Thanks for your resonse

Glen

Reply to
G Ray

It appears this year D50 did not use an ECU to control spark. It did have an ESS unit that had an ESS relay. These components are on the negative side of the coil. I'm guessing "ESS" stands for "Eectronic Spark System". I don't know that for certain but that is the direction I'm going to move for now.

Glen

Reply to
G Ray

You'll find a bunch of good Mitsubishi technical folks here.

MG