Problem with battery light and brakes light on the dashboard

Hey guys! I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. My car was running fine until yesterday (no warnings, etc) that I gave it to a person to do a paint job on it. When I got the car I noticed that the Battery light was on as well as the Brake warning light in the panel. Also I noticed that my radio was reset to default (which gave me a hint that the battery got discharged at some point). I read in the manual that the brake warning light might mean that the brake fluid needs to be refilled, however I checked and everything is fine. The light is on still. Also when I took the car to check for the brake fluid and shut it down, and then tried to start the engine, the car wouldn't start (the battery died). I got some assistance to start the car and both lights stay iluminated. If I accelerate the car to high RPMs then the lights turn off but as soon as the RPM is back to idle or normal RPM for driving around the lights stay on. I had the alternator checked about 5 months ago and some parts were fixed. I am thinking that the battery will need to be changed for the lights to be off completely. Am I on the right track? I don't understand why the brake light is on if the fluid is ok and brakes seem to be fine as well. Any suggestions are welcome. As always thank you very much for your help.

Regards, Teo

Reply to
Metalaid

Do you still have the same battery you had before the paint job? Wouldn't be the first time that a paint shop has switched batteries (they of course just manage to mix them up...).

Anyway, all the check lights on usually means the alternator has died.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

My first guess is some plug or connector is loose or maybe a ground cable was left disconnected. My second guess is maybe some paint got into the alternator and somehow screwed that up or that the alternator just plain has a problem,,,but, since it all happened together I would go back to looking for disconnected or missing connectors or ground wires.

Check the output of the alternator with a voltmeter, then check the battery voltage, then check for any voltge drops between the frame or case of the alternator and the negative terminal post of the battery. Similarly check for any voltage drops between the +12volt output of the alternator and the positive terminal of the battery.

Also see if the negative post of the battery is at the same voltage as the frame of the car.

Several auto parts shops in the US, like Autozone test alternators free.

GK

Reply to
GK

I believe the brake light goes on when the fluid is low and/or when the parking brake is on. Perhaps try setting and releasing the parking brake several times. As for the battery, have it checked as it may have failed in one or more cells. (Do a specific gravity test). Otherwise, it may well be your alternator also is giving out which can happen when a battery is shorting out.

Reply to
Buffalo