Problems with cooling system

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT with a V6 engine.

About a month and a half ago, my radiator cracked at the top so I changed it for a new one. As I did and started up my car to take it home, I noticed that the water in the radiator reserve tank was being sucked into the engine very quickly. The mechanic jumped immediately to a head gasket issue. After checking that with my mechanic, he concluded that the problem was that as well. So what I did is I got the whole head gasket kit and replaced everything even doing the test on the heads just to be sure everything was fine. Everything went fine and the test were done without problems found on the heads. My mechanic changed the gaskets and reassembled the engine. When we started up the car, we drove it for a while. We both noticed that the problem remained the same, a lot of bubbles were pouring into the reserve tank. Last night again I took it out for a drive and when I shut down the engine back at home I could hear the bubbles coming out real hard on the radiator reserve tank. Also I noticed that happen when I accelerate the car.

If I remove the radiator cap and run the same test accelerating, the coolant and water comes right back out like a fountain. I replaced the thermostat as well and I am still having the same issue L

I am at a point where I don't know what else to do. I changed the head gasket and everything else that needed to be done and I am still having the same issues. I haven't done a block test but I am not sure if that can be the issue. The car has had multiple overheatings but never to the top of the H. I always saw it before it reached that point.

Please let me know if you can help me with that so maybe you can give me some pointers on what I can do. I am really mad I spent around $1300 on a new radiator, head gasket kit, labour, etc and still I have the same issue.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks much in advance,

Teo

Reply to
Metalaid

Sounds like it needs to be burped. If you have amounts of air in your system, the water could be being pushedand looks liek head damage has been done.. Ask your agent or dealer about burping your cooling system

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Hi Peter,

Ok I got my system burped and for now I haven't seen any more vapor/bubbles coming out into the reserve. I guess it probably was the air in the system. I still, however see that the water/coolant in the reserve goes to half the total quantity after a drive or two. Is that normal? Or maybe cause it's still throwing vapor into the reserve but at a slower rate. Is it normal to behave like that?

Let me know,

TEo

Peter wrote:

Reply to
Metalaid

The water should expand into the overflow tank when the car is hot. When it's cool, it will get sucked into the engine. Threre should be a min and max level indicated on the side somewhere. If you overfill, it will just drip out the overflow and correct itself.

As for burping the system, you should have run the car until hot with the heater on full the first time it was started. That minimizes air pockets. After that, the overflow tank removes the air.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know