Q: 91 Eclipse AWD rear axles

I have a 91 AWD rear viscous diff (3 bolt axles) for my 94 Summit AWD project, also EVO3 trailing arms, and a set of AWD Expo axles and non-AWD diff flange-axle stubs. While the axle stubs fit the viscous diff spline, the left hand side appears to be a bit short. Looking through my Eclipse workshop manual drawings does not clarify the issue.

So, short of disassembling the diff (which may still happen) I have two questions

1: are the AWD Eclipse rear axles (well the axle stubs in fact) the same for the viscous diff and non viscous diff?

and 2: Is the Eclipse axle stub that fits into the viscous diff the same length on left and right sides, or is the LHS (that connects through to the viscous unit) longer?

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

"1: are the AWD Eclipse rear axles (well the axle stubs in fact) the same for the viscous diff and non viscous diff?"

stewart, the '91 manual calls out identical dismensions for the open and viscous diff axles.

"2: Is the Eclipse axle stub that fits into the viscous diff the same length on left and right sides, or is the LHS (that connects through to the viscous unit) longer?"

"Looking through my Eclipse workshop manual drawings does not clarify the issue."

same here.... from the info presented in the manual, left and right are the same. it's been several years since i've had one of these apart and can't remember, sorry.

you may want to try the four bolt axle.

Reply to
simpleton

A further scan through my manual indicates that for the non-viscous diff, this is correct, but the LHS axle stub in the viscous diff is in fact longer with a secondary smaller spline that fits into the viscous unit.

So unless I can find someone with a viscous diff from an AWD Expo (pretty rare), and is willing to sell it or just the flange/axle stub, I''ll have to get one from the dealer.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS