racing harness/airbags

If you install racing seats and a 4 point racing harness, is it ok to take the airbags out of the car?

Reply to
justcurious

Well, consider that Dale Earnhardt died in a race car that didn't have airbags. If you're driving on the street, I'd definitely leave them in. If this is a race-track only vehicle, well...........

Reply to
Mark_Melinda

No, don't be another stupid ricer. Strapped into a racing seat, you wouldn't be able to reach the switch to turn your neon on. Be advised that what you're proposing is the DSM equivalent of wearing a "KICK ME" sign or your back.

Reply to
simpleton

The only thing that comes to mind is... why would you do this? Weight loss? Aftermarket steering wheel? Rebelling against the machines?

While having a functional 4-point harness in your car will help keep you in your seat in the event of a flip-over and more severe accidents, your head's still free to move about restrained only by your neck muscles, which aren't nearly enough to keep it upright in the high force environment of a crash.

Also, where are you mounting the upper half of the 4-point? Unless this is secured properly (typically over the center bar of a roll cage, though special mounting fixtures are available for cars without the cage), it's nothing more than a fancy lap belt, and even more of a reason to keep that air bag in place.

JS

Reply to
JS

The reason I ask is because I hear air bags can be dangerous for shorter drivers. My girlfriend isn't too tall but she's in the car with me alot. I was thinking this could make it safer for her.

Reply to
justcurious

If she's in the passenger seat, keep her seat moved back. Yours is a valid concern but I'd run with the airbag still.

Reply to
simpleton