Re: Arco vs. Chevron vs. Exxon vs. Shell vs. 76 vs. Valero vs...

Apparently all gasoline's sold in a given area of the US, with the same octane rating, are the same blends of gasolines. According to the 'American Petroleum Institute' site one of the major costs of producing gasoline in the US today is the need to store, distribute and transport the 57 different blends of gasolines produced in the US, without contaminating one with another. Blends are regulated to comply with the US environmental regulation and those of the various different state regulations. Those regulation, as well a elevation, determine which blend is sold in a particular area. EVERY company selling gasoline in that area must meet the SAME blend specs.

mike hunt

Reply to
MajorDomo

Most of the gas we sell (make), at the plant I work in, ends up at Exxon-Mobil, Dynegy, Huntsman, and Equistar. Houston, Texas. I prefer Chevron.

- snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com stood up at show-n-tell, > Apparently all gasoline's sold in a given area of the US, with

-- Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every now, and then, I kick the livin' shit `outta me." - Lit

Reply to
Strontium

At one time, EPA used only a very tightly controlled gasoline provided by Texaco. It was precisely formulated and consistent which is what you must have for certifications. Pump gas quality is all over the map by comparison.

As for who EPA gets "pedigreed" gasoline for emissions and MPG certification from now, sorry I can't help you.

Reply to
Philip®

I remember when the California's Phase II reformulated gas was introduced in '96, BP produced (in their Louisiana refinery) the original blend that was used by the state for its efficacy tests. Something about this refinery's ability to produce small batches of custom-spec'ed specialty fuels.

Reply to
y_p_w

Nonsense. The "ton of junk" (additives) are required by the state in which the fuel is sold. Where do you get your information from?

Reply to
Philip®

Some seem to be 10% alcohol - others not. Hardly the same blend.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

| |Nonsense. The "ton of junk" (additives) are required by the state in |which the fuel is sold. Where do you get your information from?

So you agree with others that gas is gas? Some additives are required by states but not all of them, at least according to a fuel distributor I've spoken with. They tell me they add legally required additives to all gas and then other proprietary additives depending on the brand they're filling. BP/Amoco has the least of the extra stuff.

Thanks... Brian Bergin

I can be reached via e-mail at cisco_dot_news_at_comcept_dot_net.

Please post replies to the group so all may benefit.

Reply to
Brian Bergin

Since I have not personally evaluated (limited as that evaluation would be) "virgin" (my term) gasoline (save maybe the "white" gas we used many years ago in lawnmowers and Coleman lanterns). I cannot say that all "virgin" gasoline is the same. It should be safe to say that no "virgin" gasoline is sold as street legal motor fuel.

So long as there are no expensively detrimental side effects from fuel additives, I would prefer to have the detergency and lubricity.

Reply to
Philip®