Re: Mitsubishi Colt 1300 12V injection problem

-Hi, I have Colt 1300 12v 75hp '94. The problem is that my car has a weak power on lower rpm, and spends much more gasoline. Tecnician in Mitsubishi service put car on diagnostic machine, and read some values from the ECU. Value for injector was 3,8ms, and he said that the normal value is 2,3-2,7ms. He conclude that the fuel injectors were failed and need to be replaced . But the price for injectors is 2000 euros. I think that injector value is calculated from the ECU, not from "inside" fuel injecors or "after" them, but "before" them in ECU... I think that maybe some of sensors not doing well. There is no spare parts in the service for checking and proving my theory. Can someone help me, is there some sensor between fuel injectors and motor that sends information to ECU?

-- Bax

's Profile:
this thread:

Bax

Yes, the ECU calculates the injector cycle, and the technician is an ass. You don't need to spend E2000 on new injectors. If REALLY needed, ask around at wrecking yards. But the bigger question is WHY the ECU is pumping in more fuel.

This occurs because the ECU thinks the amount of air being input is increased, so more fuel is needed to compensate. Your car is 9 years old, and you need to check ...

a) there are no vacuum leaks. This is the most likely cause. You may not hear a sucking/hissing sound at idle if the leak occurs at higher rpm. If any of the vacuum hoses look decayed or cracked, replace them. Any parts shop can supply you with a length of hose. DON'T buy the hose from the dealer. Check the intake hose from the aircleaner to the throttle body for leaks or cracks. Make sure the oil breather and PCV valve are connected properly. Check the hose that connects to your brake booster, these often decay and leak. Also check the ignition timing is correct.

b) that your air filter is clean. Also in the air filter can is the Mass Air Sensor (MAS) make sure that this is clean and the electrical connector (6 pins?) contacts are clean. If the MAS is reporting out of range values, the ECU will output and error code and the Check Engine Light will be on.

c) that the coolant temp sensor connector is clean. If the sensor is OK, the engine should start immediately. If its bad, the engine will be hard to start. Get a replacement sensor from a wrecker if you need one. If the sensor is bad, the ECU will output and error code and the Check Engine Light will be on.

d) check the O2 sensor(s). If the sensor is bad, the ECU will output and error code and the Check Engine Light will be on.

e) Your fuel cap may be leaking too, causing odd fuel pressure effects. Does releasing the cap when the tank is nearly empty result in a hiss sound? This is normal.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS