Re: Type of Transmission Fluid 3.0 / Auto

>>If the vehicle is a 2001 Dodge, the correct fluid is likely Chrysler ATF+4. >>I'd read the owners manual as it specifies exactly what is required. Also, >>ATF+4 superceded ATF+3, so if it came with ATF+3 and that is what is called >>for as the correct fluid in the owner's manual, then you can use either +3 >>or +4. Do not use GM Dexron, even though the manual may state this is OK to >>top off in an emergency. >> >>My advice is to find out for sure what fluid to use and ONLY USE THE CORRECT >>FLUID. Chrysler transmissions are different and can be very finicky. Use >>the wrong fluid and you jeopardize having trans slip or torque converter >>shudder and will cause excessive wear and potentially premature failure. >> >>I do know that Chrysler made some transmissions for Mitsubishi. My 1991 >>3000GT has a Chrysler made electronic 4 speed that specifies ATF+3 and that >>is what I have used. >> >> Bob >> >>>I have a 01 Dodge Stratus coupe. Now if you don't know, its the same >>> platform as a eclipse (same engine and tranny). I called the dodge >>> asking them what kind of fluid it needs and they said I only needed >>> Mopar and had no idea what Diamond SPII was. I called a Mitsubishi and >>> asked them what they used and they had no idea what I was talking >>> about. So my question is Mopar a Equivalent to Diamond or should I >>> use Diamond SPII. >>> >> >Bob S is correct. Use the ATF=3. I went around in circles on that >Diamond SPII business with my daughter's 2000 Mirage. One Mitsu >dealership tried to sell me Mercron. Said that's what they use for >trans servicing. I won't be going there for any work. >Got the ATF+3 equivalency heads-up on this board and confirmed it with >Quaker State. IIRC, the can says something along the lines of "for >Chrysler vehicles and some Mitsubishi vehicles." >Apparently there may be some issues with ATF+4 vs ATF+3 in older >vehicles. Good link regarding that.... >
FWIW >YMMV >DFB

I want to make a correction. Further investigation based on responses from most of the major ATF manufacturers reveals inconclusive data. At this point I believe that using the Mitsubishi Diamond ATF is the only sure replacement. I resubmitted my query to Quaker State and they have contradicted themselves and now state that the ATF+3 is not a replacement for Diamond SPII. The other majors have responded similarly. It is my intent to use the now current Diamond ATF SPIII, the current version, for refill. If anyone has other ideas or information I would welcome it. FWIW YMMV DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

"MisterSkippy1" wrote: > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:57:02 -0500, MisterSkippy > wrote: > > >On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:18:50 GMT, "Bob Shuman" > >< snipped-for-privacy@removethis.worldnet.att.net> wrote: > >

Further to the previous post, in a phone call to Quaker State tech service this AM, I was now told that the Multi-vehicle ATF from QS and Pennzoil meets the SP III spec which is now current according to Mitsubishi and has replaced the SP II spec. I went to yet another dealership and got some Diamond SP III which, according to the blurb on the package, is suitable for all Mitsu transmissions. They had stacks cases of it on the floor in the parts department so I am assuming this is what the service department uses. This is not the same dealership that tried to sell me Mercron to use in the Mirage trans.

Reply to
DFBonnett

Reply to
<djmcreynolds1

I would not recommend use of anything but ATF+3 or the newer synthetic ATF+4 in a Chrysler transmission. Using anything else, even if it comes with an additive is penny wise and pound foolish.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman