Remote Key

My remote key had stopped working properly and I thought I had to change the battery. After I put in the new one, it completely stopped working. I had called up one of the dealers and I was told that he charges 80 bucks just for looking at it. If it is covered under the guarentee period, then he would do it free otherwise I will have to pay. I have 2 questions -

  1. How long is the warranty for this usually? Mine is a Spyder GT 2001.
  2. Is there a cheaper way to get this done?

Thanks Raja

Reply to
Raja

Raja

This is for a 2G 1995-1997, it may be the same - up to you to verify

To reprogram your keyless entry system for a new key fob:

1) Turn ignition to OFF. 2) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector (black 16-pin connector under dash driver's side). Pin 4 of this connector is a ground, so placing a jumper wire between pins 1 & 4 will accomplish this. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are getting ready to reprogram it. 3) Close all the doors. 4) Turn the key to ACC, then back to OFF. The power locks will lock/unlock. The system is now ready to be programmed. 5) Press a button on your key fob. 6) If you have two key fobs, press a button on the second fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the first one. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have one remote, press a button on it 2 more times to signal that you only have one. 7) The doors will lock/unlock to signal that the codes were received. 8) Remove the connection between pins 1 & 4.

Reply to
John

here is what I found for 3g cars - looks the same

eclipsed4utoo

10-19-2005, 08:25 PM you do nto have to take it to the dealer,, if you look through some of the threads you can find instructions on how to do it....sounds like other dude has a problem... i mean if its that big of a deal do not read the thread

I did the same thing, but i found that the instructions were very easy to follow! Here they are:

  1. Locate the Data Line Connector (DLC) underneath the driver's side dashboard. The DLC is typically located either to the left or the right of the steering column base. Notice how the DLC is tapered on both ends: you will be working on the wider row of cavities
  2. Insert keys in Ignition and leave in the off position.
  3. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 and connect the Data Line Connector (DLC) terminal 1 to terminal 4 with a suitable jumper wire, leave the jumper wire connected throughout the programming procedure). Make sure you know which terminals are 1 and 4.
  4. Within 10 seconds after connecting the jumper wire, press the Hazard Switch 6 times. (Note) The doors will automatically lock and unlock once at this time indicating that the system is in the programming mode.
  5. Press either the lock or unlock button on the transmitter to be registered three times within 10 seconds. Upon successful programming, the door will lock and unlock once.
  6. Repeat step 5, with any other remotes to be programmed (up to four remotes) (including any existing remotes), within one minute. After completing each programming, the doors will lock and unlock once.
  7. Disconnect the programming wire and remove the keys from the ignition.

For the jumper wire, i was able to use Paperclips... they worked great! If you want, have someone else in the car to press the hazard switch and the remote while you hold the paperclips together!

Reply to
John