Removal of Brake Rotor from Hub (corrosion)?

Any ideas? My wife's '98 Mitsubishi Galant ES requires front rotor replacement and I've been unable to remove the rotor from the hub due to corrosion. (yes, I remembered to remove the locking lug-nut :-)

Unfortunately, the bolt holes in the rotor used to press it off lack threads.

Have tried:

- Carpenter's hammer to apply some shock to surface of rotor where bonded to hub, and also light taps on wooden block placed on inner braking surface of rotor

- Large C-clamp from rear of rotor through holes in rotor (with a small socket), but couldn't get straight pressure to pull rotor from hub

- PB Blaster chemical (though seems pointless given large bonded surface area)

Is the next step a sledge hammer (is that safe?), or is there something else I might try?

Thanks, Bob Levy snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com

Reply to
Bob

Yes...

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Look for one or two little screw holes on the rotor at the hub. Put the correct size bolt in there and crank it it. It is there for just that situation....or just use a sledgehammer. When you put the new rotors on, coat the inner hub with antisieze.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Thanks for the tips but unfortunately the bolt holes in the rotor used to press it off lack threads. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Well they should have threads, but you can get a massive pitch bolt and still do it. To be honest, I'm surprised you are having this much trouble. Just hit the thing on alternate sides with a hammer. There is no way you have that much rust, even on a women's car.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

At the worst, get a dremel (not the cordless one) from Home Depot or similar for about $40 and use the standard cutting wheels to cut a nice groove into the rotor and then split it in half with a hammer. My dremel paid for itself the very first time I used it, on a wheel bearing. Nothing else would even scratch the surface. The local NAPA guys were amazed that *anything* could cut the wheel bearing.

Reply to
Brad

If you have access to an air supply, you can use an air hammer (Use a bit with a flat face). Spray PB Blaster around the studs and into those stripped holes then run the hammer bit around the studs. Rotor should fall loose in at most a few minutes of this.

Good luck

Reply to
G. R. Woodring