Replacing Timing Belt: '97 Eclipse 420A Egine

I have a '97 Eclipse with the 420A Engine that has 187,000 + miles on it highway miles (please take it EZ on me its the only car i have to commune with). I have replaced the timing belt before and its components (unsure of what they were) beacuse a friend at the Mits. shop did it for me on on HIS time. Unfortunately, I cannot locate him since he has changed shops:( I believe I have all the necessities; timing belt, water pump, and belt bearings (2), but my question is should I replace the belt tensioner and the belt that goes to the alternator? I also went to a local shop here in TN and they quoted $387 job. Anything that you can help offer, will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,

Ant Eclipse97Z Need help installing Remote Starts, alarms, etc.,on any car, I have Tech tips Direct Electronics

Reply to
Eclipse97z

If you got someone to quote you $387 for the job of replacing the belt, pump and bearings, the I'd grab it, that's cheap. The parts alone are probably close to $200 (or is that JUST for the labor?) I know that for my 2001 Diamante, most dealerships are quoting around $1200 (which is absolutely outrageous).

If you want to try it yourself, there are some articles on the web that show how to do it, that is assuming that you are somewhat mechanical.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike, you compare chalk and cheese: the 420A is the Chrysler 2.0L DOHC (ex Neon), which is a snap to do in 1-2 hours. OTOH, the Diamante is a V6. Most of the $1200 is labour to get ALL the bits off to change the belt, then put it ALL back together again.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS