Should I buy a previously leased 2003 Galant-V6 ?

Hi all,

I am about to purchase a 2003 Mitsu Galant ES-V6 with 20,000 miles on it for $13,000 at CARMAX. Running a CarFax-report I discovered that the the car was previously leased via fleet, then auctioned before it came to CARMAX. Are there anything I should know about previously leased cars? Does buying a leased car represent risks of any sort?

CarMax does offer up to 5 years of warranty so I guess I shouldn?t be too worried about any problems, but would like to know if there are any rule of thumbs regarding cars used for lease or rent.

I was very sure that I was going to buy that Galant, but seeing the CarFax-report made me doubt.

Any inputs will be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

regards, plexi

Reply to
pleximax

Hi Plexi,

I don't see

A great and very fast car! I drive a 1999 Galant V6 2.5 fully loaded. Bought him private in 2003 from lease. Drive him from new, so I know him very well.....Now 170.000 km on the clock

Weak points:

Break discs, every 30.000-40.000, the last ones are ok, problem fixed by factory i guess

Valvelifters, after 125.000 km new ones because they started to make noise (USE ONLY FULL SYNTHETIC 0W30 OIL). New type valvelifters installed, so i think problem is fixed by factory

Electric gaspump, new after 130.000 (weak point?...nah...)

Tyres at the back are making more and more noise after 10.000 km. Check wheel-lining on regular base and switch after 15.000 km with front wheels

When youre carrying a lot of weight? Loadadjusters at the rear a must

Clean youre alu wheels on regular base!

Thats all

5 years warranty???????? No risks, so don't hesitate! $13.000? Wow....Go for it! The 2004 Galant is not on the market in Europe :(. The 2003 v6 model is not available anymore (only 4cyl). A year ago the v6 2.5 leather, automatic etc. costs 35.000 Euro. In Holland you pay for a used 2000 v6 at the dealer about 12.000 Euro.

Bye

Ignas Kuppens The Netherlands

"pleximax" schreef in bericht news:413c96ce$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com...

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Ignas Kuppens

"Ignas Kuppens" wrote: > Hi Plexi, > > I don?t see > > A great and very fast car! I drive a 1999 Galant V6 2.5 fully > loaded. Bought > him private in 2003 from lease. Drive him from new, so I know > him very > well.....Now 170.000 km on the clock > > Weak points: > > Break discs, every 30.000-40.000, the last ones are ok, > problem fixed by > factory i guess > > Valvelifters, after 125.000 km new ones because they started > to make noise > (USE ONLY FULL SYNTHETIC 0W30 OIL). New type valvelifters > installed, so i > think problem is fixed by factory > > Electric gaspump, new after 130.000 (weak point?...nah...) > > Tyres at the back are making more and more noise after 10.000 > km. Check > wheel-lining on regular base and switch after 15.000 km with > front wheels > > When youre carrying a lot of weight? Loadadjusters at the rear > a must > > Clean youre alu wheels on regular base! > > Thats all > > 5 years warranty???????? No risks, so don?t hesitate! $13.000? > Wow....Go for > it! The 2004 Galant is not on the market in Europe . The > 2003 v6 model is > not available anymore (only 4cyl). A year ago the v6 2.5 > leather, automatic > etc. costs 35.000 Euro. In Holland you pay for a used 2000 v6 > at the dealer > about 12.000 Euro. > > Bye > > Ignas Kuppens > The Netherlands > > > > "pleximax" schreef in bericht > news:413c96ce$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com... > > Hi all, > >

> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req?d). Report > abuse: >
Hi Ignas,

Thanks for your reply and comments.

Seems like a good car. Only concern is that I do not know how the previous renters and drivers might have treated the car and how their way of driving may affect the life and performance of the car.

I know myself that when I rent a car, I tend to be bit more rough with the car than if it was my own.

Again, thanks, looking forward to trying out the Galant V6 once it arrives here. I?ve ordered it from another city.

Regards, plexi

Reply to
pleximax