Smoke in oil?

2001 Eclipse RS (4cyl), 101k miles, no mods, daily driver. Been running Mobil 1 10w-30 for last 50k.

While changing the oil today I noticed a little smoke curling out of the oil drain and filler. Car runs fine, I don't believe the oil level was low, and I don't recall seeing oil smoke in the exhaust (but will now be looking!).

I think I'll also check the plugs for oil ash when she gets back with the car.

I'm worried it's a piston ring problem, and it's out of my capabilities. I do have a compression tester - but I ripped out the schraeder valve so I could test my rotary. Will it still work for a piston engine? I don't mind using a helper to crank the engine.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman