Smoke on startup on 90 Mitsu Galant

Hi,

I need a bit of input on a 90 Mitsubishi Galant (2,0l GLSi): Lately, it's started smoking. Only on startup and only when the engine is cool. The smoke will go away immediately as soon as the engine is running, i.e. it emits a (heavy) puff of smoke and that's it - it won't do it again unless it started cold. Any ideas on this? It's got 150k km on it, and runs absolutely fine otherwise (besides not running at all in January because Mitsu didn't have enough money to use decent caps in its ECU - *sigh*). I'm running 10W40 semi-synthetic oil in it (switched from mineral 15W40 at about 90.000 km) - that shouldn't be the problem, isn't it? Oil consumption is moderate at about 2 litres in about 8.000-10.000 km. The color of the smoke is not so easy to determine - I'd say it's grey. ;-) It's not water white, not oily black - so I'd probably settle for blue. ;-)

Any help appreciated Norman

Reply to
Norman Weiss

Second that opinion....

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Valve stem seals. Very common problem. After 150K, and in a 90, the best cure is have the head off for a valve grind, replace the seals, and the cam belt and water pump while it all out.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

If you need a third opinion, I'll be it.

Reply to
Richie Rich