Spare wheel carrier...........

anybody in here put a spare wheel carrier on the tail gate of an L200. I just want to know if it will take the weight and also a Jerry Can holder.

Cheers Gary

Reply to
g.caffrey5

I can't comment on the specifics of your vehicle but keep in mind that regardless of strength, anything attached to an up/down tailgate will make raising and lowering it a bitch. A tire and a 5 gallon gas can will add over

100 pounds of dead weight. While there may be more than enough support while the gate is up and locked there will be a huge stress on both the gate and the hinges when it is lowered and supporting the full dead weight of a tire and a gas can. Any extra stress to the gate in this position, such as standing on it, may warp it and make it unable to lock back into a closed postion. If you have a gas can that is not perfectly sealed you will also leak gas every time you lower the gate. There are carriers available that can be attached to the corner post of the truck bed and swung out of the way of the tailgate for normal operation. I don't know where to send you but you should be able to hunt one down with an internet search. I had one on an old K5 Blazer and I see them on Jeeps and some pick ups. It may mean modifications but in the end will be well worth it.

Bob Walker

Reply to
Bob Walker

Cheers fella. Not sue if i could put one of those frames on it due to the proximity of the lights to the tail gate. But i'll look into it. I was thinking of getting some high tension cables to attach to the gate and the rear securing eyes for when i drop it as well as some short wires from the eyes to extra eyes on the gate while its up just to be sure.

The reason for my moving the wheel will be to make way for an oil tank when i convert it eventually.

I'll let you know if i find something suitable thats not too much of a pain in the arse.

Reply to
g.caffrey5