Spark plug help

I just picked up a set of the Bosch Platinum+4's for my 93 diamante.

The dealer told me that these plugs don't work well in Mitsu's does anyone have any experience with them.

Also are there any tricks to getting the plugs in the rear 3 cylinders? do I have to take off the air chamber or can I squeeze my hand and wrench in there?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Reply to
Plasticman

Mitsubishi recommend NGK or Denso plugs. To change right bank plugs, first remove air intake plenum, not too hard.

The dealer told me that these plugs don't work well in Mitsu's does anyone have any experience with them.

Also are there any tricks to getting the plugs in the rear 3 cylinders? do I have to take off the air chamber or can I squeeze my hand and wrench in there?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Reply to
Wayne Taylor

I've heard that the platinum plugs don't disapate heat well at all, to the point that the heat collected in the prongs will cause premature detonation (can you say "Knock" children, I knew you could).

The NGK's don't have this problem. Use the 6ES's if you are running anything below 18PSI on your turbo, use 7ES's only if you are running

18PSI and all the accompanying mods to get it up to there. And no, you can't run 7ES's if you are using a T25, they can only go to 15PSI. Anything greater than that is boost creep.

Regards, CMF

Reply to
Chris Ferris

It's a Diamante. They don't have turbos on those. Knock isn't an issue for him.

Platinums should dissipate heat just as well as long as the temp rating is what is required. The bad thing about platinum's is they don't conduct the spark as well. Not a big issue on a naturally aspirated engine. Historically, people aren't happy with non-NGKs in the turbo'd Mitsubishis. If you don't plan on changing to plugs for a long time and are non-turbo, the platinum's should be fine. I don't like the +4 design. Too hard to gap and silly snake oil in the ads.

Reply to
Robert Honea

I've tried many spark plugs over the years. and on several different cars and I can say from my experiance that BOSCH plugs suck.(used them on three different cars)

For a while I liked the SplitFire and I now like the AC Delco RapidFire even better.

I would only buy denso, or rapidfire at this point.

Reply to
Victor