speedometer & odometer in 97 Eclipse is not working. Dealer says transmission problem

The Speedometer & Odometer in my 97 mitsubishi stopped working, speedometer shows 0 all the time and odometer moves 1 mile for every 15

- 20 miles travelled. I took it to the dealer after spending money/time at several mechanics. Also, lot of the good mechanics said if it might be an electrical problem and should be taken to the dealer.

Delaer changed sensor and even then it's not fixed (costed $350). He now thinks it is a gear in transmission which connects to the speed sensor and that is faulty (extimates $850).

Has anybody had any experience with this? Any insight/help is much appreciated.

Reply to
aaruti