strange noise 02 Galant

Ever since colder weather started in my part of the US, I've been hearing a strange noise coming from my 02 Galant ES (I4). The noise is what I would characterize as a low-pitched squeal. It is not very loud, but quite noticeable, and is most audible inside the car, and barely audible outside, or under the hood due to the rest of the engine running noises. It seems to be related to the power steering, because it will drastically change pitch when I move the steering wheel back and forth even a little. The noise goes away after the car has warmed up. I'm thinking perhaps a noisy belt tensioner, belt or power steering pump, but since the noise is so hard to hear under the hood, I can't really tell for sure. The car only has a bit over 30,000 miles on it, and the belts look to be in fine condition as far as I can tell. I know what a slipping belt generally sounds like, and this doesn't sound like that. It almost sounds like the sound that wind makes when it whistles or howls on a windy day. It's very odd. Anyone have a good idea what it could be? I'm taking the car in for service soon, and will ask them to check this out, but I'm sure I'll have to leave the car there for awhile until it cools down enough for the noise to return. Also, I'm getting the dreaded valvetrain tick/clatter when the car is cold as well. Can the valves be adjusted or something to quiet this down, or am I going to have to live with this incessant ticking? The noise goes away eventually, but I hate it when my car with only 30,000 miles makes noises like that in the fall and winter months. Even if the outside temp is 50 degrees (F) or lower, I get this valvetrain noise for awhile until the engine completely warms up. I use Quaker State (non synth) 5W/30 oil. I've heard that synthetics can quiet this down. What say you all?

Reply to
Thor

Sounds like Ball joint from lower wishbone. We had definitely the same sounds. HTH, ALexander

Reply to
Bernhard Frasnik

Well I should have clarified, the noises are present even when the car is not moving, so I don't think the suspension would be a factor in my case. Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Thor

My Expo makes the same squeal when the colder weather sets in....I just tighten the PS belt and it's gone...Is that a V6?

Reply to
Outlander

No, it's the 2.4L 4 cylinder. I just had it at the Mitsu dealer for winter service last week, and they said the belts were as tight as they should be, and were in good shape. They also said that it wouldn't be wise to tighten the belt any more or else it could cause the A/C compressor bearings to wear prematurely. The car was good and warm when I took it to the dealer, (the noise goes away when warm) seeing as it's roughly a 50 minute drive to the nearest Mitsu dealer where I live. I couldn't leave the car overnight since my schedule just wouldn't permit it, so I just told them to look it over as best they can. They didn't find anything that seemed out of sorts. Will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Thor

my '00 galant is like that too. but it happens when i dont warm up the car. when running the noise happens when i turn the steering wheel but it goes away when warmed up

BTW, some say dont warm up the car and some say warm up the car. which is better for a '00 galant?

Reply to
jwacom201

Reply to
ismail