Subject: 3000GT SL 95 2WD 3.0 Coolant Problem - Water/Antifreeze Evaporating?

Hey eveyone,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with this coolant problem for my 1995

3000GT SL.

I have replaced the thermostat thinking that the old one may have jammed it to the engine, but still no go.

Can anyone hint on what it could be, any recalls or problems the 3000gt has been hit with or what I can do.

I am thinking about just taking it down to my dealer "Peoples Mitsubishi - Las Vegas NV."

Any thoughts, help, Flames etc, anything at all would help me out a bunch.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Reply to
Michael D. Smith

How about some more information? Is it over heating? Smoking? Is coolant disappearing?

Reply to
Robert Honea

Well, it can't be evaporating from a closed system. I would go to a radiator shop and have them do a pressure/leak test and also check for exhaust gas in the cooling system. TG '94 3000GT

Reply to
TG

Hey,

I wouldnt ever let my car over heat or smoke ( I baby it way too much)..

That's why I dont understand why this happened. I bought it used about 8 months ago, and it went through the dealers checklist, and had no problems, they issued me a 30 day warrenty and everything was perfect with the car!

One day from driving home from college, 20 miles back and forth 2 days a week, 47,000 miles on the engine.

The coolant light came on. I pulled over as soon as I could and filled it up.

Ever since it has been evaporating slowly. Needing to fill it once a week, then twice, then everyday. For the past two weeks.

I don't wanna spend any money cause I'm cheap and this is my first car, but I have no choice so I am going to go do a test like TG said.

It makes sence, It can't evaporate from a closed system, but where the hell could it all go?

Eaither way, thx a lot guys post whatever...

-Mike

Reply to
Michael D. Smith

Thanks TG, I will go have this done this weekend hopefully, thanks for the great advice.

mike

Mitsubishi -

Reply to
Michael D. Smith

"Michael D. Smith" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a1FUb.31426$P17.29000@fed1read03...

When you opened the expansion vessel to refill it with water at the hot engine, was there any pressure in the coolant system?

This is a huge water leak and you should be able to find a wet spot somewhere, if it really leaks outside. However, you me have internal losses due to a blown head gasket . Your huge extent of waterloss should result in gasbubbles on your coolant system. Open the tap of the radiator with the engine running at normal temperature, fill it up with water, bring the engine up to e.g. 4000RPM and let it fall down to idle. If you now can see gas bubbles on the water surface of the radiator, you don't need any further tests. Then its definitely a leaking cylinderhead gasket and you should have it replaced as soon as possible to avoid any further major damage.

Reply to
Marcel Baum

A fairly substantial leak can spurt when the car is under load but as soon as things cool just a bit the leak can stop and since it is boiling hot all traces of it soon disappear. Also a loss caused by a leaking head gasket or cracked block doesn't always result in bubbles in the cooling system...depends on the cooling system a bit and maybe coolant is being sucked into the cylinders.

Get the tests and find out....you can pay now or pay a lot later.

If you really want to investigate further to save money make sure to look at all of the radiator hose and heater hose connections and the water pump. The problem could as simple as a radiator cap no longer holding the correct pressure.TG

Reply to
TG

Well everyone,

It was the pump.

A new one set me back about 500-600 bucks with the work.

I was desperate so had to do it, didnt want car to smoke, thanks for all your advice guys! im just glad it wasnt a leaked head/gasket or someting really expensive!

Take care,

Mike

Reply to
Michael D. Smith